Not Free, but close. Darned good values, you could say.
Page Contents: click on an item below for details & pricing.
- EasyMeds – now free!
- Flavoring Liquid Medications
- Weekly or Monthly Medication Packaging
- Vaccinations (Shingles, Flu, Pneumonia & Pertussis/Tdap)
- Drug Discount Programs
- Home Medical Needs
- Nursing Home Services
Synchronized Med Refills: NOW called EasyMeds (and now FREE)
Never again find out on Friday evening that you’re out of refills and the clinic is closed until Monday. Never again waste time figuring out what you need refilled and calling it in: from now on, it can all be automatic! Synchronized Med Refills saves you time and hassle and helps you keep up with all your medications. Here’s how it works:
- Sign up today by phone or at the store.
- After you sign up, we’ll phone you once a month to make sure there are no changes to your list of regular medications.
- We will also ask if there are any Over The Counter items you’d like included in your order.
- After the phone call, we’ll fill all the meds and have them ready for you on the same day each month. All you do is answer the phone once, then come in to get your medications (or have us deliver them). Easy.
- We will take care of keeping track of refills & new prescriptions from your doctor.
- We will take care of lining up new prescriptions so they match up with your existing ones. (this sometimes means a single extra copay for a small refill to get a medication in synch.)
- We will take care of everything so you never run short & you never have to wait for a prescriber to get around to approving your refills.
- It is now free: yes, we like you THAT much.
Synchronized MedsEasyMeds saves most of the trouble of keeping track of your medications but if you want the next level of convenience & safety, we have a separate program in which we will package everything in a Dispill med planner, with one cup for each dosing time. [Click here for details]
photo credit: 140proof
Medication Packaging: $9 per month.
This is the best way to affordably improve your adherence to the doctor’s prescribed therapy. Many hospitalizations and other serious health events turn out to be a result of incorrect medication use. The Dispill® Medication Packaging takes all the guesswork out and is a very safe way to ensure correct doses and to keep track of what’s been taken and what hasn’t.
- The Dispill® packs can be formatted for 4 doses daily for 1 week, or 2 daily for 2 weeks or, if you take your medications just once a day, we can fill one pack for a full 28 day supply.
- Each dose has it’s own transparent cup topped with a paper label showing your name, all the medications in the cup, and the day & time of day of the dose. Have a look at the photos below to better understand how this works. Or, you can [Click here]to watch Dispill’s video about their system.
- We will happily include any vitamins, supplements or other things you take on a scheduled basis. Just bring us the bottles from home and tell us how you take them.
- Each dose can be separated from the pack, or you can separate a strip of doses representing a day or two, or any multiple you need. For instance, if you take a flight to Alaska for a fishing trip, you can put 2 weeks of medications into your luggage and tear off just 1 dose to take with you in your carry-on bag.
- The top of the pack features a complete list of your medications, including a brief description of each one, directions, and your doctor. See photo below.
- No need to fuss with filling a med pack at home, or try to juggle a bagful of bottles on your kitchen counter, or worse; on your lap on the plane!
- Changes are easy: if your therapy changes, just bring the pack back in and we will open it up and make the changes you need so you can go forward without interruption and without risk of mistakes. No cost for changes.
- If your packs are set up for weekly use, we will fill 4 packs at a time so you take home a full 28 day supply. This way you don’t have to stop back at the pharmacy every week.
- Click on any of the photos below to enlarge it.
And if you are really attached to your old plastic medication planner, we can work with that instead of using the Dispill® packs. The main thing is that you are able to stay with the therapy prescribed by your doctor with the most convenience possible. Just ask us for what you need: we’re pretty flexible.
Vaccines: Flu shots $25. Shingles & Pertussis: up to your insurance.
Here at Donlon Pharmacy, we offer:
- Zostavax injections for shingles prevention.
- Boostrix Tdap vaccine for Pertussis (whooping cough) prevention (& Tetanus, diphtheria)
- The Flu Shot, available seasonally, to prevent influenza.
All vaccinations are documented in the state of Iowa IRIS system, which can be accessed from any clinic who may need to see the record. For any vaccine, it is recommended that you wait 10 – 15 minutes afterward just as a precaution.
Scheduling is easy: except in times of national shortage, we always have vaccine on hand and you can simply walk in and ask for the injection. No prescription needed for Flu shots, but a prescription is needed for the others.
It’s best to avoid Mondays, which are busy at the pharmacy: you would end up waiting much longer. Any other day of the week should be fine, but it’s good to call ahead to be sure that the vaccinating pharmacist will be there at the time you will. Please allow 20 minutes or so for the process, and have your prescription insurance information with you.
The shingles vaccine, Zostavax, can be given to anyone age 50 or more and provides good but not 100% prevention of shingles. The injection is a simple one under the skin at the back of your arm and side effects are uncommon: mostly discomfort at the site of the shot.
While there is still a chance a vaccinated person can get shingles, there are two important benefits for even those unlucky few: the shingles episode will be much milder than is possible for an un-vaccinated person and there will be none of the ongoing pain that sometimes follows after a shingles episode is over. Called post-herpetic neuralgia, this preventable pain can be extreme and can last for several months after the actual shingles attack has resolved. Get the Zostavax injection and you’ll be protected from post-herpetic neuralgia.
A prescription is required from your doctor and we will run it through your insurance before injection: copays vary quite a bit from one plan to another, so there’s no way for us to know your cost until we receive the claim response from your insurance plan.
Boostrix (Tdap) vaccine provides protection against Tetanus, diphtheria & acellular Pertussis (whooping cough). We have just added this to our available vaccines.
Prevent & Protect! Get a Tdap booster at Donlon Healthmart and stop Whooping Cough before you pass it on to others!
That little girl in the photo is too young to have finished the vaccine series that will protect her from Pertussis (Whooping cough).
The man holding her hand may not know that his immunity has probably faded and he could easily carry the disease to her without having any symptoms that suggest whooping cough.
We now offer this important vaccine right here at the pharmacy! Boostrix (Tetanus, Diphtheria & acellular Pertussis vaccine) is approved for use in all patients above age 10. It is partly covered by your Medicare D pharmacy benefit.
This vaccine is recommended by the CDC for anyone who has or expects to come in contact with pertussis infected individuals and/or children vulnerable to such infection. A single booster like this is recommended for all adults, including those over age 65.
Remember that an adult may have whooping cough without having the classic “whooping” symptom which is most pronounced in babies. Adults may also be carrying the infection without even realizing they have anything at all. Vaccines are the safest and most effective way to prevent this illness and prevent its spread. Contact Matthew at the pharmacy if you have questions about it. Or stop by any day to get the vaccine: just ask your doctor to send us a prescription first!
[Click Here] for a link to the CDC’s recommendations for this vaccine.
After the Pertussis (Whooping Cough) outbreaks this year and in previous years, we decided to start offering the Tdap vaccine and we give a few each week, often in conjunction with the Shingles vaccine. Tdap protects against Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (whooping cough). Here are some details:
- Pertussis/ Whooping Cough is extremely contagious. With prevalence increasing in the community, that means that the advent of school brings an enormous opportunity for infections to spread from one to many households in no time. Flu is the same deal: school provides a great way to spread either disease to hundreds of families, even to those who have no school-age kids.
- Babies/ children who have not completed their 3-dose series are not protected from pertussis and so are very vulnerable to infection from contact with those carrying it.
- Kids get a booster around 10 – 12. They can be be vulnerable in the few years before that. And vulnerable again lifelong after that booster wears off, which happens in 5 – 7 years.
- Meaning that most adults really have no protection from the pertussis infection. Symptoms in children are fairly clear but adolescents and adults can have atypical symptoms or, amazingly, may have no symptoms at all. Thus uncle Bob or Grandpa Joe might carry the infection without knowing it, and pass it on to baby Zenobia. Not good.
- Adults may receive the Shingles vaccine (Zostavax) & the Pertussis/ Tdap at the same time: one in each arm. This is an efficient & preferred method.
- Prevention is safer than treatment. (That’s true for most diseases.) Vaccines use the body’s own mechanism to build a defense against the disease, so this approach is probably closer to “Natural” (whatever that means) than using chemistry or plants to cure/fight off an infection.
- It takes 1 – 2 weeks after the shot to achieve good immunity.
- CDC & the state of Iowa recommend Tdap for all adolescents & adults of any age. The vaccine we carry is approved up to and also beyond age 65, so it’s a good choice. Current recommendations (due to pertussis prevalence) are to get the Tdap without regard to how recently a person had their last tetanus shot.
- Pregnancy: The Tdap vaccine is usually given either in the 2nd or 3rd trimester or immediately post-partum.
Flu Vaccine is offered during flu season, starting in September or October, as soon as our first shipment arrives. While it’s best to get your flu shot early in the flu season, it is still important even later. Many cases of flu show up in February, so if you don’t get the shot until then, it will still provide you and yours with valuable protection.
Walk-ins are welcome, though Mondays are so busy you would have to wait longer: it’s best to come a different day of the week. Currently flu vaccines are limited to patients age 18 or above. A prescription is not required.
For the 2010/2011 season, we charge a flat $25 for each flu shot, without submitting the claim to prescription insurance plans. Many plans do not cover the shot and the time spent to submit the claim and phone for clarification of the rejection is not well spent.
photo credit: Daniel Paquet
Flu shots are recommended for anyone age 6 months or more, according to the CDC. [Click here] for their influenza website. If you are likely to have contact with someone who is below that age or is unable to get the vaccine for other reasons, you could pass the virus to them without even realizing it. Vaccination is the best way that you can prevent yourself becoming a carrier for this disease which can be severe or even deadly.
Do I have the flu? [Click here] for a chart of symptoms, cautions, treatments and more.
We can compound almost any mixture your doctor prescribes. Whether you need a special cream for a dermatology problem or a tub of the famous Lorraine’s Butt Balm for your little one’s diaper, we can handle it. If we have never made the compound prescribed, we have a good relationship with the Mayo Clinic pharmacy for those times when we need to get the ‘recipe’ for a new compound needed by one of our patients.
In the rare event we are unable to prepare a specific compound, we will find out where you can have this done most conveniently and transfer the prescription there to make sure you can follow the therapy your doctor has planned.
Home Medical Needs
This can include a large variety of products that are carried here at Donlon Pharmacy. If there is something you need that we don’t have, we can usually order it for next day’s delivery. Some items, particularly Durable Medical Equipment like walkers or wheelchairs may take longer to arrive. Special orders from our main supplier are usually no extra charge, and you have no obligation to purchase if it doesn’t meet your needs. An exception would be for some durable goods that we have to order from a different supplier, such as for specially sized braces or orthotics. For these, we may require a deposit because some suppliers will charge us shipping if we have to return it.
[Click here] for more information .
Over the counter products, herbals, supplements, vitamins, etc. While we carry a good selection of these products, there may be items you need that we don’t have. Please ask one of our staff to see if it can be ordered for you. For many such products, the special order will arrive the next day.